Communications & Media Outreach Internship
The Dignity in Schools Campaign:
The Dignity in Schools Campaign (DSC) challenges the systemic problem of pushout in our nation's schools and advocates for the human right of every child to a quality education and to be treated with dignity. The DSC unites parents, youth, educators and advocates in a campaign to promote local and national alternatives to a culture of zero-tolerance, punishment and removal. The DSC website includes a searchable database of research on pushout, school discipline, and positive alternatives, specific resources for youth, parents and educators, and information about our active campaign projects.
Internship responsibilities will include:
Press relations and media database development, copy editing and graphic design of print materials, routine social media and website updates, blog postings, as well as work with podcasts, video, images and other new media tools. Responsibilities will be modified to suit the interests and skills of the intern.
The intern will get hands-on experience with communications strategies in the non-profit sector and their importance in building and supporting the human right to education.
* Knowledge of and interest in human rights and public education policy in the U.S.
* Experience working/interacting with grassroots organizations.
* Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, ability to multitask.
* Strong research and writing skills.
* Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications.
* Experience with website updates, Drupal, blogging, tweeting, social networking and viral media distribution.
* Skill with media relations – media lists, press releases, media kits, pitching stories, etc.
* Publication/graphic design and layout skills are a plus (InDesign, Photoshop, Publisher, etc.)
* Video and audio editing skills also a plus.
* College or Graduate student a plus.
The DSC values a diverse workplace and encourages students with non-traditional experiences and from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
January - June. Exact dates are flexible.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Communications Coordinator Joao Da Silva at joao[at]dignityinschools.org. Applicant review will be on a rolling basis and will continue until the positions are filled. Please indicate in the subject line of the email that the application is for a Winter/Spring 2013 DSC Communications internship. Please, no phone calls.